CRIME VICTIM COMPENSATION QUICK FAQS
- You do not need a lawyer to apply for the Crime Victim Compensation Program.
- The program pays certain out-of-pocket expenses related to an eligible victim's injury from crime in Iowa.
- Funds for the program come entirely from fines and penalties paid by convicted criminals, not tax dollars.
- The program is the payer-of-last resort after insurance, other government programs, and other sources.
- Eligibility determination may take eight weeks.
- For eligible crime victims, the program will pay benefits after all required verification is received.
- The program does not cover property crime, property loss, legal fees, phone bills, meals, or pain and suffering.
- Restitution from the offender is collected by the program only after any restitution owed to the victim is paid.
- Restitution is not collected from an offender if the collection might cause danger or hardship to the victim.